For someone who has been lazy about bothering to understand the intricacies of getting all the weird, strange characters to appear correctly on asp pages this guide is meant for you.
This is how it works:
1) Your .asp files are just text files, yes. But they are probably ANSI format. You can see what encoding the files have by opening them in Notepad, doing File..Save As.. and then checking whats in the drop down.
2) Now open every file in your application in Notepad and save them all out as UTF-8
3) In Dreamweaver in Edit.. Preferences.. set the New Document Encoding property to UTF-8. Note however Dreamweaver will now have a nasty habit of just opening your ANSI file and just removing any foreign characters without any warning. Make sure you manually convert all files with notepad as in part 2)
4) Replace any Meta Tags in your HTML with the proper UTF-8 definition.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
5) Now to the server side. Add this code segment to the begining of everypage.
© 2004 - 2018 1 Oak Hill Grove Surbiton Surrey KT6 6DS Phone: +44(020)82617371